Study in Australia with admissions, visa application, and working rights along with all pre and post-landing services.

Study in Australia. [Australia Student Visa (Subclass500)

Australia: Utmost Quality of Higher Education

There are lots of opportunities for overseas students to study in Australia.  Australia has a high ranking over all internationally. It is also a very popular destination for students abroad wanting to study in Higher Education establishments

Here are some facts:

  • Australia is the third most popular student destination in the world.

  • Eight of the top hundred Universities are in Australia

  • Five out of thirty of the best student cities are in Australia

  • Australia ranks 9th in the overall University rankings across the world.

  • Australia offers more than 22,000 courses from 1,100 higher education institutions.

  • The following courses put Australia in the 50 top ranked universities in the world.: Arts and Humanities, Clinical and Pre-Clinical Health, Engineering and Technology, Life Sciences, Physical Sciences, and Social Sciences. 

  • $200 million investment in Higher Education.

  • There are 2,500,000 international alumni from Australian Higher Educational Institutes around the world.

  • Fifteen Nobel Prize Laureates. 

  • 1000,000,000 people depend upon these Australian discoveries and inventions. These are: IVF, Wifi, Ultrasound, Penicillin, Bionic Ear, Cervical Cancer Vaccine and the Black Box used in aircraft. 

The Economy is also very strong. Farming, mining, and mineral extraction are still very important. Increasingly the service sector is gaining in importance. This does cover education, tourism, financial and service industries.  There is also a sizable manufacturing base.

For anyone wanting to study in Australia there is a very wide range of opportunities. 

Applying to Study in Australia.

There are two main areas to concentrate. One is finding the right college and University that suits your needs and getting accepted by the institution. The second is getting through the visa application process. 

Applying for a Course

Many academic institutions such as colleges and universities have web sites which will have all the appropriate course details.  This will also include application forms.  At this point it might be useful to get in contact with a registered agency that specializes in international visa applications, as well helping you find a good course.

There will be a need to show an acceptable level of competency in English, Each Australian Education Institution will specify what is needed. You will need to make sure this is followed up carefully.  Specific details can be found on the official Department of Immigration and Protection web site. Also, get clarification on what their English requirements might be from the institution you are applying too 

If you have High? Senior High School, Secondary or Sixth Form qualifications, they will have to be assessed and verified.  Equivalents will have to be found that can be accepted by Australian Educational Institutions. This is to make sure that you meet the standards set by the institution you wish to apply to. Again, an agency can help you with this. Also, note that there is a general requirement for an Australian Senior Secondary Certificate of education, or its equivalent. There may be subject specific requirements as well. All of this has to be assessed in your application, to see that you meet the entry requirements. 

This would also apply for anyone wanting to undertake a post graduate or doctoral course. Another important aspect for Post Graduate courses would be evidence of related work experience or research work, which could certainly help you with your application. 

If you want to take a technical course, and have already done an apprenticeship or have a college qualification, the same would apply to you.  Any college would need confirmation that you are qualified to take up the course. With vocational training courses evidence of specific work experience and expertise in certain key areas, would also help. 

There would be a number of other factors that are also important. The most obvious would be how the course is to be financed and how you can support yourself when you are in Australia.  

Applying for the Visa (Australia Student Visa Subclass 500)

All the previous subclass of student visa has now been replaced by study visa subclass 500 by the Australian Border authority. The replaced subclass which no longer exist are:

Australia student visa subclass 570, 571, 572, 572, 574 and 575.

Assuming you have been successful with your admission and you have been accepted onto a course in a recognized Australian Educational Institution, then you can apply for the Visa. You will need an official offer or acceptance letter.

You then receive your electronic Confirmation of Enrollment (eCoE).  This is an online form in a PDF file format, which is required to finally lodge your visa.  A letter of acceptance will not be enough. You do need the Confirmation of Enrollment form usually issued by the institute.

Specific Requirements

This visa is designed for international students wanting to study in Australia.  

  • If you are under 18 years of age, you will need to make that appropriate measures have been set up in order to look after your welfare.

  • You have been accepted by a recognized educational establishment in Australia. The course must be registered with the following organization:  Commonwealth Institution of Register of institutions and courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS) to be accepted for a visa. 

  • Again the (eCoE) is needed if you are applying from outside of Australia.

You do not need a Commonwealth Institution of Register of institutions and courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS) if you fulfill the following criteria: 

  • You have sponsorship from the Australian Foreign Affairs and Trade. You have to send the letter of support to prove this is the case. 

  • You have sponsorship from the Australian Department of Defense. Again, you have to send a letter proving you have this sponsorship.

  • You are coming as a secondary exchange student. You will have to fill out and submit the Acceptance Advice of Secondary Exchange Student (AASES) forms.

  • If you are a Post Graduate Student, you will have to remain in Australia while your thesis is being marked. Again, you will need to present a letter from the Education provider. 

You can apply with the letter of acceptance but you do need the Confirmation of Enrollment (CoE) form, if you want to apply for the visa.

Multiple Courses

You can apply for two or more courses. For this you will have to use this visa, Sub Class 500, this is called course packaging. There must be progression from one course to the next. The last course is the main or principal course. It is this course that will decide what level of English you will need to have and the nature of your financial requirements 

Types of Visa Available

Student Visa (Sub class 500)

The criteria for this visa has already been outlined. You have had a Confirmation of Enrollment along with a letter of acceptance. There are a number of other points that need to be considered.

Genuine Temporary Entrant

This is a system that helps to eliminate those who want to cheat the system by using the Student Visa as a way of gaining illegal entry to Australia. A number of factors will be looked into. Your past immigration history and that of your parents and possible guardians. Your general circumstances. If you are under 18, then a full family check may also be needed. This applies to all the other temporary visas.

English Language Tests

There may be a need for an English language test as part of your visa application. There are a range of different international examination systems that can be used. The minimum requirement for an Australian student visa without an ELICOS course is 5.5 bands in IELTS (International English Language Testing System) which is equivalent to 42 in PTE (Pearson Test of English) in the Academic Module.

At this point, it might be worth mentioning that you might need the help of a certified and experienced Visa Application company that understands the system.

They can best advise you about how to approach the English Language test. Again, this will also depend on the requirements of the course you are undertaking.

Financial Requirements

This is to prove that you will be able to support yourself in Australia, or that you have got financial support from family members. You might be eligible for a special grant depending upon the scheme you are using and who is sponsoring you for your course of study in Australia.  All this needs to be fully documented, including bank records etc.

As a starting point, these are some of the figures provided by the Australian authorities for living costs in the first 12 months. 

As of the 1st July 2016 these 12 month living costs are: 

  •          For a Guardian or Student:     $19.830 AUD

  •          For a Spouse or partner           $6940 AUD

  •          For a child:                              $2970 AUD

There are also calculations required for the course fees you will have to pay, add the first year fee to the above figure. Plus of course paying for the student visa application and a return airfare.

Health Insurance 

You will need health insurance. There is a special scheme that can apply for as an international student.  This is the Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC). This provides medical and hospital cover. The OSHC number will be needed in your visa application. 

If you are from Norway, Sweden or Belgium, there are national systems that can be used.

Medical Health Checks 

These will be probably needed. This is a comprehensive check. You will need to use a “panel” doctor.  These are special authorized clinics that are accepted by the Australian authorities.  Equivalent clinics can be found in Australia. You may also need an X Ray. One major concern is tuberculosis TB, which will be looked for, especially if you come from an “at risk” country.

Character Checks

These are essentially police checks in your home country. You will need to produce police records from every country you have stayed, that you do not have a police record in any of those countries. This includes any criminal record or other serious violations.

Family members

It is also possible for other family members to join you as part of this visa scheme. For more details please contact the company dealing with the visa or investigate further on the official websites.

English Language Intensive Course for Overseas Students

This is designed to help students improve their English skills, once they have arrived in Australia. 

School Children

Primary and Secondary school students can be allowed to study in Australia.  There are certain conditions that need to be met.  Help again, can be given by a Visa Agency, or by carefully looking at the official web sites.

Other Visas

Student Guardian Visa (Subclass 590)

This is specifically designed for a guardian of a student younger than 18 years to come to Australia, for the duration of the student's studies. 

You are either the parent or a nominated guardian, 21 years or older.  You have been given custody of the student.  Children under 6 years old should not be brought in unless there are definite mitigating circumstances. 

You should be able to care for the student, provide accommodation and financial support.


Training Visa (Subclass 407)

This is specifically occupational. This is design for students wanting professional development or a skills enhancement program. 

This can be used by your home country or the Australian government to give you work based training.  It could be used by your home country to send you for a period of up to six months for practical work experience to help you with your final qualification.

Alternatively, you could come to Australia as part of a focused course of professional training in your field of expertise. 

Temporary Graduate Visa (Subclass 485)

This allows someone, who has graduated in Australia under another visa scheme, to live work and study in Australia for a temporary period. 

The Graduate Work Stream is designed for someone with skills that are applicable to those needed on the Skilled Occupation List (SOL) for 18 months.

The Post Study Work Stream involves students who want to continue their studies at Post Graduate level. This applies in particular to students who had their visas granted on or after the 5th of November 2011. This is for up to four years in duration and covers any field of study.

Lodging your Application.

You have got your college placement and all the other checks and tests and in order. You now need to forward your application forms and documents to Australia.

Before doing this, if some of your documentation is not in English, then you need to use the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters, to get all these translated.  The documents then need to be scanned in.  Keep all originals handy as you may need these at Immigration Control.  All documents need to be certified.

Immi Account.

This a way of sending all your documentation securely on line. Follow the instructions for setting up your account and entering information, precisely. Once this set up and accepted you will get a Tracking Reference Number (TRN).  It is possible to send your documentation via registered post.  Full details regarding the address to which this information needs to be sent, can be given either by your agency or looking on line for details.  


You can keep track on the progress of your application by using your TRN number. If all goes well you will be given notification and then proceed to take up your studies in Australia.  You may be asked for additional information or clarifications. 

There are a lot of steps to take. This could seem very over whelming. If you have a friendly, helpful Visa Agency to help you, this could make this whole job a lot easier.



Services You May Like